An Art Collector’s Delight
Finalists Selected For The RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards- $10,000
The 2019 NZ Art Show is promising to be an art collector’s delight with 15 finalists now announced to be in the running for the RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards.
Not only will these artists showcase their work at the NZ Art Show but their work will also be for sale to the public. This is a real treat for those who are already avid art collectors or those wishing to start a collection.
The 15 artists that will be exhibiting a body of work at the NZ Art Show are either currently studying toward a degree or diploma in art or are recent graduates. The four recipients of the award will be chosen by a panel of experts prior to the doors opening at the NZ Art Show 2019.
Executive Director, Carla Russell says, ‘It is so encouraging to see the work being produced by students from the leading schools of fine arts. Hats off to all the tutors and leaders in those organisations for giving these artists the tools to create exceptional and unique work. There is great depth and rich diversity that our art schools foster and I cannot wait to see this new body of work available for the public to see at the NZ Art Show’.
The Finalists are:
- Chad Bevan, Massey College of Creative Arts
- Esther Deans, Auckland University of Technology
- Ekaterina Dimieva, Elam School of Fine Arts
- Hannah Fouhy, Elam School of Fine Arts
- Vivian Jin, Elam School of Fine Arts
- Chirag Jundal, Auckland School of Architecture
- Han Nae Kim, Elam School of Fine Arts
- Hannah Lawn, Massey College of Creative Arts
- Samuel O’Malley, Massey College of Creative Arts
- Gerry Parke, Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design
- Molly Timmins, Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design
- Tabitha Van der Westhulzen, Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design
- Hannah Watkinson, University of Canterbury’s Ilam School of Fine Arts
- Calla Wu Zheng, Auckland University of Technolgy
- Weiyang Zhang, Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design
RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards
These awards are made possible through the generous support of Richard Nelson who is a huge supporter of the arts. Richard acknowledges the difficulties many artists have at the emerging level. He hopes that this award gives the recipients the confidence they deserve and relieve some of the financial burdens they may face. The RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards recognise excellence in the visual arts at an emerging level and are open to those who are currently studying toward a fine arts degree or diploma or are recent graduates.
The NZ Art Show
Heading into its 16th year, the NZ Art Show is New Zealand’s largest curated art sale of New Zealand art and showcases thousands of artworks by hundreds of New Zealand artists. The 2019 show will take place over Queen’s Birthday weekend, May 31 – June 3, with an opening Gala Evening preceding the show on Thursday, May 30.