Applications for R.T Nelson Awards For Sculpture 2023 Now Open
CALLING ALL NZ SCULPTORS
Applications are now open for the
2023 R.T Nelson Awards for Sculpture
A unique opportunity for Aotearoa’s finest sculptors
After two successful years we are now preparing for the 2023 RT Nelson Awards for Sculpture .
All New Zealand sculptors are invited to apply for this prestigious award which celebrates small-scale contemporary New Zealand sculpture.
The awards are valued at a total of $20,000 with a premier prize of $15,000, and five highly commended prizes of $1,000 each.
All media and styles will be considered.
A preliminary selection panel will select up to 50 finalists to be considered for the awards.
Hosted by the annual NZ Art Show in Wellington, all finalist artworks will be exhibited and available for purchase. The award winners will be announced at a private function on 1 June and the exhibition will be open to the public on 2 and 3 June.
The awards exhibition will be closed for viewing on 4 June, however the NZ Art Show will still be open that day.
Scroll towards the bottom to find some guides to help you prepare for your application
- $30 for 1 artwork, $60 for 2 artworks. Limit of two artworks
- Once you have submitted your application form you will be given instructions on how to pay your application fee
- Application fees are non-refundable
Exhibition fees for finalists
- Finalists will not be charged to exhibit in the awards exhibition but must be prepared to cover associated costs such as packaging and transport of art works to and from the show
More winners from 2022
Images below: Highly Commended award recipients – from top to bottom, left to right: ‘Submerge – Ice Melt’ and ‘Submerge – Purple Fall by Di Tocker; ‘The Clusterfuck that Was’ by George Agius; ‘Habitat 2’ by Jane Downes; and ‘The Tohunga and the Atua’ by Neke Moa.
Richard T. Nelson is an avid art collector and philanthropist. Originally from the USA, Richard has called Wellington, NZ home for past 25 years
Richard appreciates the elegance and grace of sculpture, and wishes to reward technique and true craftsmanship through this award which he instigated in 2021.
GUIDES TO HELP YOU PREPARE YOUR APPLICATION
You’ll also find these guides on our website here
If you have any queries not covered in the guides or on our website please contact us at email@example.com
GUIDE: WHAT YOU NEED TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR APPLICATION
1. APPLICATION FORM
- On the RT. Nelson Awards for Sculpture website https://sculptureawards.nz/
- The application form is half-way down the home page, under the heading ENTER THE AWARDS
- Applications close 20 January 2023, but we encourage you to apply sooner rather than later
2. APPLICATION FEE
- Once you have submitted the application form, we will email you details on how to pay
- $30 for 1 artwork, $60 for 2 artworks. Limit of two artworks.
- Full payment will confirm your application
3. IMAGES OF YOUR SCULPTURES
- Email your images to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your artwork has been created, please send up to 6 images of each work showing it from different angles
- If your artworks are not completed, please send concept drawings of your intended works and samples of previous works so that the judges can get a good sense of your practice
- Include information about each work: title, medium, dimensions and the story behind each work (comprehensive but brief)
4. ARTIST PROFILE / STATEMENT
- Email your profile to email@example.com
- Tell us something interesting about you and your art practice
- No more than A4 size in length
- Include any study, most recent exhibitions, award history, and any other information you think might help
- Please note, however, that formal art training, exhibitions and awards are not a prerequisite for eligibility
- Once all required elements are received, your application will be submitted for consideration
- We will also contact you should we require more information about your application
- We wish you the best of luck and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org
R.T NELSON AWARDS FOR SCULPTURE TIMELINE GUIDE
|Aug 2022||Applications open.|
Application fee: $30 for 1 artwork, $60 for 2 artworks. Limit of two artworks
Application fee is non-refundable
|January 20, 2023||Applications close|
|January 30||Deadline for images and artist profile|
Applications will only be considered when all elements are received by RT. Nelson Awards for Sculpture team
|February 10||Artists notified about selection results|
|February 17||Selected finalists to confirm their participation by this date.|
They will receive full instructions and resources to help them prepare for the awards exhibition 1-3 June 2022
|May 29||Deliver artworks to TSB Arena, Wellington|
|May 30||Sculptures that are delicate or require assembly are to be delivered and installed by artists|
|June 1||Winners announced at a private function at the TSB Arena Wellington|
|June 1 – 3||RT. Nelson Awards for Sculpture exhibition at the TSB Arena, Wellington, hosted by the NZ Art Show|
|June 4||Exhibition closed to public and uninstalled. Sculptures that are delicate or require disassembly are to be uninstalled by artists|
|June 5||Artists may collect unsold artwork in person from TSB Arena – 10am|
|June 6||Courier unsold artworks to artists from TSB Arena venue|
NB: The morning of June 6th is the last day for all unsold artworks to be collected
|July 20||Artists who have sold artworks will be paid by this date|
We are an art events company that is contracted to organise the NZ Art Show and we have been given the opportunity to facilitate this award for Richard T. Nelson.
BEST OF LUCK!