Download a copy of the Emergent 2018 Guide for Artists here
Applications Open: November 1, 2017
Applications Close: April 30, 2018*
*Will close earlier if spaces run out
HOW TO EXHIBIT IN EMERGENT 2018 AND QUALIFY FOR THE RT NELSON EMERGING ARTIST AWARDS
All artists wishing to participate in the Emerging Artist Awards and exhibit their work in EMERGENT 2018 need to fill the application form here – https://www.artshow.co.nz/application-form-emergent-2018/
- All applications are put before a selection panel
- Applicants will be notified within 10 working days of submitting their application if they have been successful
- All artists selected to exhibit in will also be eligible for the 2018 RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards
- Selected artists will receive further instructions
- The number of spaces are strictly limited so make sure you apply early so you don’t risk missing out
WHAT IS EMERGENT 2018?
- Emerging artists in the NZ Art Show
- A sub-section of the NZ Art Show showcasing about 40 artists who are currently in the last stages of their degree or recently graduated
- Artworks will be exhibited in a specially designated exhibition space at the 2018 NZ Art Show: all artworks will be for sale
- All disciplines are accepted including original painting, sculpture, video, drawing, and photography.
- Artists apply via an online application process on the NZ Art Show website
- Applicants must provide the following info:
- Name, address and contact details
- Art school attending / attended
- Main art tutor from art school
- Stage of study: when they expect to graduate or when they graduated
- 6 x images of examples of artworks
- NZ Art Show manages the hanging and layout of your art; you are not involved with the management of art and you are not required to attend the show
- If all artworks do not fit in your allocated space in the initial hang or placement, the remaining pieces will be placed in storage and displayed as your artwork sells
- Artists will be responsible for freight costs of art to and from NZ Art Show.
- Sold artworks are exempt,
- Size limit:
- 2D on 1 x panel: no more than 80cm x 80cm per piece
- 2D on 2 panels: no more than 150cm x 150cm
- 3D on plinths: no more than 40 x 40 x 40 cm per item
- Large free-standing: no real size limit but each item must be able to fit inside the venue without the aid of heavy machinery, must be stable and must adhere to all health and safety standards so as not to cause damage or injuries to any persons or property on the premises
- If in doubt, or if your artworks are larger than specifications above, please discuss your needs with the Artist Liaison – firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 387 4370
- You deliver artwork directly to the show venue: see Emergent 2018: Artist Timeline for delivery date
- You get a name sign above your work
- You get one free entry to any ONE of the show days: Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday
- Artists will not be charged the standard application fee or an exhibition fee, but will be charged 35% commission on sales.
- This commission rate is a higher than standard NZ Art Show exhibitors, but they are subject to exhibition fees
- Selected artists will have various costs to consider, like freight, wrapping materials, transport and accommodation (if they come to Wellington to see the show)
THREE STEPS TO COMPLETING AN APPLICATION
Follow the steps carefully. If you do not complete all steps, your application will not make its way to us.
Checklist: have the following three elements ready before you start the application process. They are required as part of your online application and you will be prompted for each during the application process. If you do not have everything ready in advance, the application process may time out while you try and sort things out and you will need to start again:
1. Digital Images.
- You will need to email them to us after you have filled in the application form
- Provide jpegs only, not pdf or in a word document.
- Please provide 6 images
- Preferably supply images of the works you intend to exhibit, however, if your art is not yet complete we will accept examples of previous work as long as they represent what you intend to exhibit in the show in terms of style and price range
- Best size range for each jpeg file: 600KB-1MB
- NB: these images will be used use for selection purposes and they may also be used for promotional purposes.
2. Descriptions for each image – Name of artwork, medium, dimensions (mm) and price($NZ)
3. Artist profile – tell us about you and your art and make it as interesting and comprehensive as possible. If you are selected, this will be used for promotional purposes. No more than 1 page, please
Complete the online application form
- Found on the NZ Art Show website here – https://www.artshow.co.nz/application-form-emergent-2018/
- If you find that you’ve made a mistake after you’ve submitted your application, don’t start another application – let us know and we’ll correct it out at our end – email@example.com
Wait for email notification of selection results.
- You may be asked to submit more information – but if you have completed all the steps correctly then this won’t be necessary
- If you haven’t received notification within 10 working days of submitting your application then please contact the NZ Art Show at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are selected for the show you will be notified by email.
- Following selection you will need to complete a submission form – we’ll provide you with full instructions at the relevant time
HOW THE SHOW WORKS
All Art Is For Sale
- As an artwork sells, it is taken to the sales area and taken away by its new owner. Large sculptures which cannot be moved easily and award finalists work must remain until the end of the show
- The sold piece is replaced by another artwork, by the same artist, held in storage area
- All sales are made through NZ Art Show, who pays artists after the show
- NZ Art Show retains commission from the amount paid to artists
- Unsold artworks are returned to artist. The artist is responsible for costs transporting art to and from show
- Sold large sculptures that cannot be moved easily: the artist is responsible for transporting to the purchaser
AWARDS – $13,000 IN TOTAL
The NZ Art Show seeks to:
- Recognise artistic excellence
- Acknowledge promise, talent and commitment
- Open avenues for artists to move forward and accumulate experience
- Encourage emerging talent
As such, there are two awards available.
1. RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards – Four prizes of $2,500
- Artists exhibiting as part of NZ Art Show EMERGENT 2018 are eligible for these awards
- A judging panel will assess all artworks once they have been hung/displayed
- The four award winners will be selected prior to the show’s opening and they will be publically announced at the Gala Evening Thursday May 31
2. Brendan Foot Supersite Signature Piece Art Award – $3,000 cash for the best artwork voted by the public
- All artists exhibiting in the 2018 NZ Art Show are eligible for this prize, including those not participating in the NZ Art Show EMERGENT 2018 Prior to the show opening, a judging panel selects ten artworks from the show – they consider these to be ‘best in show’
- These artworks will be exhibited in a designated gallery at the show and will remain there for the duration of the show. All artworks will be for sale.
- Voting is conducted by public during the show. The winner will be notified after the show is over and votes are counted
We look forward to receiving your application!
EMERGENT 2018: ARTIST TIMELINE FOR ARTISTS
|Nov 2017||1||Wednesday||Artist applications open|
|Feb||1||Thursday||Selected artists: submission process opens and handbooks distributed|
|April||30||Monday||Applications close – earlier if all spots filled|
|May||14||Monday||Artists who do not wish to be considered for Brendan Foot Supersite Signature Piece Art Award must notify NZ Art Show|
|May||25||Friday||Return courier tickets for unsold artworks due. Send to NZ Art Show, PO Box 14817, Wellington 6241. Full details will be given to selected artists only.|
|May||28||Monday||Delivery of art to TSB Arena 10am – 4pm – hand and courier|
|May||29||Tuesday||Heavy sculpture artists pack in and set up 11am – 1pm. Artists must book time with NZ Art Show management.|
|May||31||Thursday||Award Finalists announced: Brendan Foot Supersite Signature Award and RT Nelson Emerging Artist Award|
|May||31||Thursday||NZ Art Show 2018 – Gala Evening 6.00pm
|June||1 – 4||Fri – Mon||NZ Art Show 2018 – Show days from 10am daily
All artworks for sale
Artists receive 1 free entry into any one day of their choice
|June||4||Monday||Artists may collect unsold artwork from venue 6pm – 8pm – by prior arrangement|
|June||7 – 30||Thur – Fri||Courier return of unsold artworks.|
|June||18 – 24||Mon – Sun||Hand collection of unsold artworks from #105 Lyall Parade, Lyall Bay, Wellington 10am – 4pm|
|August||20||Monday||Payments to artists for sold artworks|