- in the process of coming into being or becoming prominent.
Recognising and supporting creative excellence from emerging New Zealand artists
Emergent 2018 provides a meaningful platform for art students to introduce their art to a significant audience.
Art students preparing for life beyond campus have the challenge of finding avenues to exhibit and sell their art. With the number or artists far outweighing the number of outlets and dealers, competition to secure engagements is high.
When transitioning from an intensely creative and nurturing environment of the art school to the isolated vacuum of independent practice, self-directed practice may be more difficult to sustain; we can’t bear the idea of graduate artists abandoning their dreams of full-time art practice due to lack of support, finances and momentum.
The NZ Art Show has a solution for art students: EMERGENT 2018
- A special exhibition, part of the 2018 NZ Art Show
- Showcasing around 40 artists who are either currently studying toward a degree or diploma in Fine Art at a New Zealand art school, or recent graduates
- Artists studying Photography in a recognised Design School are also eligible
- Celebrate and share your art with over 10,000 art enthusiasts over Queen’s Birthday Weekend 2018.
- All artworks for sale
- $13,000 in awards available, including RT Nelson Emerging Artist Award
- No applications or exhibition fees; but 35% commission will be charged on art sales
- Perfect platform from which to kick-start your art career: a gateway which opens up to opportunities from art collectors, galleries and dealers
RT Nelson Emerging Artist Awards
- 4 x awards of $2,500
- Established in 2012, this award is made possible through the generous patronage of Richard T. Nelson, the award’s official sponsor.
- All artists participating in Emergent 2018 are eligible for this award
- A judging panel will assess all the artworks prior to the show’s opening
- The four recipients will be announced at the Gala Evening May 31, 2018
Artist applications open November 1.
- Exhibit your art in New Zealand’s largest and most-loved art show
- Take your place amongst New Zealand’s true emerging artists
- Read the Emergent 2018 Guide for Artists and make sure you have everything you need for your application.
Before making your application, consider the following:
- Great photos make all the difference: the selectors will not get a good idea of your art if the photos are blurry (out of focus), glaring (reflection off frame glass), uneven (badly composed), or cluttered (a whole of stuff in the background). If you are not that good with a camera, ask someone else to take your photos.