- Artists making an application and participating in the NZ Art Show agree to be bound by these terms.
All applicants must:
- Be a living New Zealand citizen or resident
- Apply via the instructions as set out on the NZ Art Show website
- Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee
2. ARTWORK AND ARTISTS
2a. All Exhibitors
- The NZ Art Show operates as a cash-and-carry art exhibition: art is removed from the venue as it is sold (except for award competitors and heavy sculptures which cannot be moved easily).
- Artists may not exhibit in another large-scale art exhibition, anywhere in New Zealand, two months prior to the NZ Art Show.
- Artists may not exhibit in the Wellington region three months prior to or during the NZ Art Show
- Artworks must be created for the NZ Art Show and not be exhibited in a similar show prior to the NZ Art Show.
- All artwork must be the artist’s own and not a copy of another artist’s work.
- Artworks must resemble images submitted as part of the application in terms of style, quality and price range.
- Not eligible: domestic furniture, domestic textiles, domestic hand crafts, homewares and merchandise.
- Indecent, obscene, objectionable or pornographic material is not permitted: the NZ Art Show will assess the nature of artworks in accordance with their guidelines and their decision is final.
- If Artificial Intelligence (AI) is used to create your artwork this must be disclosed.
- All artworks must be for sale.
- All sales will be made via NZ Art Show: no private sales permitted.
- Artists who live abroad must provide a New Zealand bank account for payment for sold artworks.
- All artworks must be exhibition ready.
- Wall-hung pieces must be easy to remove from the wall.
- Each individual wall-hung piece must be no heavier than 10kg. Any pieces that are too heavy, unstable or deemed to be a safety hazard will not be exhibited.
- Except for award competitors and heavy sculpture, all sold artworks must be removed from display: artists may not request that any sold artworks remain on exhibition for the remainder of the show.
- The artist will meet all costs of transporting art to and unsold artworks from the NZ Art Show.
- Artists are not responsible for freight costs of artworks sold at the show EXCEPT for heavy sculpture, where the artist is required to transport/deliver sold as well as unsold artworks.
- Where possible, all works must be signed.
- If the artist sells out of their work, the NZ Art Show will recover possession of the artist’s space.
- Movement of art from the walls is dictated by sales, therefore the NZ Art Show cannot guarantee that all artwork will be displayed.
- Courier return of artworks will commence on Tuesday 4 June 2024. Due to the volume of work to be couriered we cannot guarantee when artwork will be delivered, but we do endeavor to have all works delivered as soon as possible.
2b. Single Artist Wall Artists
- SAW artists must be present for the duration of the show, including the VIP Preview and Gala Opening.
- SAW artists are allocated an exhibition space by the NZ Art Show. Please see section 10 of these terms and conditions for more information on space allocation.
- Artists are required to attend to their exhibition space and manage their artworks for the duration of the show.
- Artists may submit as many artworks as is practicable. However, if the NZ Art Show deems that you have provided too many to be accommodated by our facilities, the NZ Art Show management reserves the right to exclude works from the venue.
- Artists may not allow anyone else to use their pass to gain access to the show.
- The SAW assistant pass is to be used by one designated person only: it is not transferrable.
- Artists may not exhibit outside of their allocated exhibition area or obstruct other artworks.
- Artists may not move artworks that is not theirs.
- Artists may not exhibit and sell artworks that belong to other artists in their space.
- Original prints, original photography, photographic prints, fine art digital prints and reproduction prints: Artists may submit works from a limited-edition print of 30 or less. The print edition number must be clearly labelled on the art work and art label. The print edition will be the final and may not be added onto at a later date. Reproduction prints are not permitted. For full information on prints, please see our guide here.
- Artists are representing the NZ Art Show and must always behave in a professional and appropriate manner
- The NZ Art Show reserves the right to advise artists on the layout of their space.
- If an artist sells out of their art, the NZ Art Show will recover possession of the artist’s space for their own use. The artist may not give any of their space to another artist without first consulting the NZ Art Show.
2c. Solo Panel Artists
- Solo Panel Artists have complimentary entry to any one of the show days, but not the VIP Preview or the Gala evening.
- The NZ Art Show manages location and configuration of wall panels and hanging of artworks. Whilst we will endeavor to hang all of your art together this may not always be possible.
- Artists are not permitted to attend their exhibition space at any time during the show.
- Not eligible for Solo Panel Exhibition: Jewellery, domestic furniture, domestic textiles, domestic craft and home wares.
- Original prints, original photography, photographic prints, fine art digital prints: you may submit one artwork from a limited edition of 30 or less. The print edition number must be clearly labelled on the art work and art label. The print edition will be the final and may not be added onto at a later date. Reproduction prints are not permitted. For full information on prints, please see our guide here.
- Any artworks greater than 100cm x 100cm must be delivered to and collected from the venue in person i.e. not by a courier.
- Artworks on paper must be mounted and framed on a stable support; simple cardboard backing will not be accepted as a stable support.
- Heavy sculpture: artists are responsible for delivery, installation and removal. If sold, the artist is responsible for delivery to purchaser.
3. Exhibition Fees
- Once selected, Artists will be invoiced. Artists must pay the exhibition fee by the date due on their invoice. Non-payment of fee may result in withdrawal of the artist submission and the allocated panel may be offered up to another artist.
- Exhibition fees are exclusive of GST.
- Commission: 25% commission will be charged on all sold artworks and will be deducted from the final payment to artists.
- Refund policy: exhibition fees are generally non-refundable, with the exception being extraordinary circumstances like event cancellation.
- Additional fees may be applied for special requests.
- The NZ Art Show charges 25% commission on all artworks sold.
- The commission charge will be deducted from the final payment to artists.
- The NZ Art Show does not provide insurance cover therefore artists are strongly advised to make their own insurance arrangements in order to protect their work while in transit, in storage awaiting exhibition, at the exhibition or pending return to artist.
6. Tax and GST
- All taxation liabilities will be the responsibility of the individual artist.
- GST registered artists will be responsible for all GST liabilities.
- Artists that are not GST registered will be charged GST on the commission.
- Inclusion in the show is not automatic: all applications will be reviewed by a selection panel.
- The selection panel reserves the right to accept or decline any artist for whatever reason and their decision is final.
- The selectors’ decisions are final, and they will not enter any discussion regarding their decisions.
- Artists selected for the NZ Art Show acknowledge that images submitted to the NZ Art Show by the artist may be used as publicity for the show in various media and online platforms. As this publicity forms part of the marketing strategy for the NZ Art Show, artists will not receive remuneration for the use of their images.
- Any artists who refuse to allow their images to be used may be withdrawn from the show.
- Any images of the NZ Art Show event and exhibiting artworks as commissioned by the NZ Art Show remain the property of the NZ Art Show and the NZ Art Show reserves the right to use those images at their discretion.
- Artists will price their own work inclusive of GST and commission.
- For SAW artists there is no limit on the price of each artwork, but any work priced over $10,000 must be approved by the NZ Art Show.
- For SOLO artists the sale price of each artwork must be no more than $5,000.
- Artists are asked to consider the average sales price of $1,250, anything priced from $1,500 upwards will be scrutinised closely.
- NZ Art Show reserves the right to make recommendations to individual artists regarding pricing.
- At any time while the show is taking place, artists may discount their prices, but may not increase their prices.
10. Space Allocation
- The NZ Art Show will do their best to ensure that all artists are allocated a reasonable space that will receive favourable public exposure.
- Allocation is at the discretion of the NZ Art Show and negotiations between the NZ Art Show and the artists regarding allocation will not be entered into.
11. Cultural Appropriation
- Artists are urged to be mindful when using imagery from a culture other than their own, as it may be deemed culturally inappropriate and cause offence.
- We advise all artists to use due diligence by seeking guidance and advice. If any artworks are brought to our attention we will liaise directly with the artist.
- The NZ Art Show is not responsible for any offence caused.
12. Post-Show Issues
- Whilst the NZ Art Show acts as an agent for artists for the duration of the show, once the artist has been paid in full for any artwork sold any issues arising from the sale of artworks are the full responsibility of the artist.
- The NZ Art Show will not act as intermediary in the event of any disputes that may arise directly between the artist and purchaser: artists will manage all resultant issues themselves.