Artists making an application and artists who have been selected for the show are subject to these terms and conditions. Artists participating in the NZ Art Show agree to be bound by these terms.
The NZ Art Show reserves the right to change or amend these Terms & Conditions at any time. Changes will be displayed on the www.artshow.co.nz website and will take effect immediately.
Breaches of any of these terms may see an artist withdrawn from the show with no refund on any fees.
All applicants must:
- be a living New Zealand citizen or resident
- apply via the NZ Art Show website
- pay the non-refundable $30 application fee
2. ARTWORK AND ARTISTS
2a. All Exhibitors
- Artworks must be no more than two years old
- All artwork must be the artist’s own and not a copy of another artist’s work.
- Artists may not exhibit in the Wellington region three months prior to the opening of the NZ Art Show.
- Artworks must resemble images submitted as part of the application in terms of style and price range.
- Indecent, obscene and pornographic material is not permitted: the NZ Art Show will assess the nature of artworks in accordance with their guidelines.
- All artworks must be for sale
- All artwork must be priced no more than $5,000 and artists are urged to consider the show’s average sale price of $700.
- All artworks must be exhibition ready.
- Any pieces that are too heavy, unstable or deemed to be a safety hazard will not be exhibited.
- Artists who live abroad must provide a New Zealand bank account for payment for sold artworks
- Wall-hung pieces must be easy to remove from the wall
- Each individual wall-hung piece must be no heavier than 10kg.
- Except for award competitors and heavy sculpture, all sold artworks must be removed from display: artists may not request that any sold artworks remain on exhibition for the remainder of the show.
- The artist will meet all costs of transporting art to and unsold artworks from the NZ Art Show.
- Artists are not responsible for freight costs of artworks sold at the show EXCEPT for heavy sculpture, where the artist is required to transport sold as well as unsold artworks.
- Where possible, all works must be signed.
- If the artist sells out of their work, the NZ Art Show will recover possession of the artist’s space.
- Movement of art from the walls is dictated by sales, therefore the NZ Art Show cannot guarantee that all artwork will be displayed
- All artwork not collected by the due date after the show will be retained by the NZ Art Show as a donation. The last day for hand collection is 13 June 2020 and the last day for courier collection is June 20, 2020
2b. Single Artist Wall Artists
- Artists are required to attend their exhibition space and manage their artworks for the duration of the weekend
- All sales will be made via NZ Art Show: no private sales permitted
- Original prints, original photography, photographic prints, fine art digital prints and reproduction prints: you may submit works from a limited edition of 30 or less. The edition number must be clearly labelled on your work and art label. The edition will be the final and may not be added onto at a later date. For full information on prints, please see our full guide here.
- Artists are representing the NZ Art Show and must always behave in a professional and appropriate manner
- The NZ Art Show reserves the right to advise artists on the layout of their space
2c. Solo Panel Artists
- The NZ Art Show manages location and configuration of wall panels and hanging of artworks: artists may not negotiate with management before, during or after the show
- Artists are not permitted to attend their exhibition space at any time during the show
- Not eligible for Solo Panel Exhibition: Jewellery, domestic furniture, domestic textiles, domestic craft and home wares and reproduction copies of original artworks.
- Original artworks on paper must be mounted and framed on a stable support; simple cardboard backing will not be accepted as a stable support.
- Heavy sculpture: artists are responsible for delivery, installation and removal. If sold, the artist is responsible for delivery to purchaser
- Artists may not engage with the public and promote their art at any time during the show
- Original prints, original photography, photographic prints, fine art digital prints and reproduction prints: you may submit one work from a limited edition of 30 or less. The edition number must be clearly labelled on your art label and artwork. The edition will be the final and may not be added onto later. For full information on prints, please see our full guide here.
- Photographic and reproduction prints on foam core or canvas will not be accepted, as it is a sub-standard, unstable and unsuitable method of presentation.
- Framed artworks: frames must be sturdy, clean and undamaged. Cheap frames fall damage easily.
3. Exhibition Fees
- Selected artists will be invoiced. Artists must pay the non-refundable exhibition fee by the date due on their invoice
- The NZ Art Show charges commission on all artworks sold. This charge will be deducted from the final payment to artists. Commission is 25%.
- Artists are strongly advised to make their own insurance arrangements in order to protect their work while in transit, in storage awaiting exhibition, at the exhibition or pending return to artist.
6. Tax and GST
- All taxation liabilities will be the responsibility of the individual artist.
- GST Registered artists will be responsible for all GST liabilities.
- Artists that are not GST registered will be charged GST on the commission.
- Inclusion in the show is not automatic: all applications will be reviewed by a selection panel
- The selection panel reserves the right to accept or decline any artist for whatever reason and their decision is final.
- The selectors’ decisions are final, and they will not enter any discussion regarding their decisions
- If you are selected for the show and if, on arrival, the standard of your work does not satisfy the selection board then the NZ Art Show reserves the right to withdraw your submission with no refunds
- Artists selected for the NZ Art Show acknowledge that images submitted to the NZ Art Show by the artist may be used as publicity for the show in various media and online platforms. As this publicity forms part of the marketing strategy for the NZ Art Show, artists will not receive remuneration for the use of their images.
- Any artists who refuse to allow their images to be used may be withdrawn from the show.
- Any images of the NZ Art Show event and exhibiting artworks as commissioned by the NZ Art Show remain the property of the NZ Art Show and the NZ Art Show reserves the right to use those images at their discretion.
- Artists will price their own work inclusive of GST and commission.
- Artworks are to be priced under $5,000: artworks more that $5,000 will not be accepted
- Artists are expected to keep their prices in an affordable range: the average sale price is approximately $700
- Anything priced from $1,500 upwards will be scrutinised closely.
- NZ Art Show reserves the right to make recommendations to individual artists regarding pricing.
10. Space Allocation
- The NZ Art Show will do their best to ensure that all artists are allocated a reasonable space that will receive favourable public exposure.
- Allocation is at the discretion of the NZ Art Show and negotiations between the NZ Art Show and the artists regarding allocation will not be entered into.
- Any artists challenging the position allocated to them may be withdrawn from the show with no refunds.
11. Post-Show Issues
- Whilst the NZ Art Show acts as an agent for artists for the duration of the show, once the artist has been paid in full for any artwork sold any issues arising from the sale of artworks are the full responsibility of the artist.
- The NZ Art Show will not act as intermediary in the event of any disputes that may arise directly between the artist and purchaser: artists will manage all resultant issues themselves.
- While the NZ Art Show will use its best endeavours to protect your artwork while in its care and until returned to the artist, the artist acknowledges that the NZ Art Show accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage caused to the art in transit or while in its care. Therefore, all efforts to retrieve lost art or repair damages are the full responsibility of the artist.