Download a copy of the Terms and Conditions for Artists here
Artists making an application and artists who have been selected for the show are subject to these terms and conditions. Artists wishing to participate in the 2018 NZ Art Show agree to be bound by these terms.
The NZ Art Show reserves the right to change or amend these Terms & Conditions at any time. Changes will be displayed here on this website and will have an immediate effect.
- All applicants must be a New Zealand citizen or resident. Citizens who live abroad may apply but must provide a New Zealand contact person, address and bank account number for artist payments on art sold.
- All artwork presented must be by a living person.
- Application fee of $30 must accompany the application
2.THE NZ ART SHOW
- The NZ Art Show operates as a cash-and-carry art exhibition – art is removed from the venue as it is sold (except for award competitors and heavy sculptures which cannot be moved easily).
- With the exception of award competitors and heavy sculptures, artists may not request that any sold artworks remain on exhibition for the remainder of the show.
- Any artwork not displayed in the initial hang will be held in storage; sold pieces will be replaced. All artworks submitted by applicants must be for sale.
- All sales are made through NZ Art Show and artists will be paid, minus commission, by 20 August 2018.
- The NZ Art Show maintains full curatorial control of the Solo Panel walls and will exhibit and rotate artworks at their discretion. Solo Panel artists may not enter into any discussion regarding the display of their work before, during or after the show. All artists will be designated their own space. If extra space becomes available it is possible, but not guaranteed, that your work may be exhibited elsewhere to ensure as much of your work as possible is on display.
- Single Artist Wall artists must manage and attend to their art and they have curatorial control over their space. However, the NZ Art Show reserves the right to offer recommendations and implement any revisions it deems necessary.
- Movement of art off the walls is dictated by sales. therefore the NZ Art Show management cannot guarantee that all artwork will be displayed.
- Any artists who breach any of the terms and conditions may have their artwork withheld from the show with no refund on any fees.
3a. All Exhibitors
- All artworks exhibited must be no more than two years old and not have been exhibited in the Wellington region three months prior to the opening of the NZ Art Show.
- All artwork must be the artist’s own and not a copy of someone else’s.
- Artworks exhibited in previous NZ Art Shows are not eligible
- Submitted artworks must resemble images submitted as part of application in terms of style and price range.
- Domestic furniture and domestic textile crafts are not eligible.
- Indecent, obscene and pornographic material not permitted: the NZ Art Show will assess the nature of artworks in accordance with their guidelines.
- All artwork must be priced no more than $5,000.
- All artwork must be ready to hang or, if 3D, need to be ready to install. If the piece is heavy or needs special assembly it is the artist’s responsibility to install.
- All artwork must be labelled correctly as per labelling instructions given to selected artists
- Individual wall-hung pieces must be easy to remove from the wall – if a piece requires direct attachment to the wall it will not be exhibited.
- Each individual wall-hung piece must be no heavier than 15kg.
- Where possible, all works must be signed.
- If the artist sells out of their work, the NZ Art Show will recover possession of the artist’s space for the show’s use.
- Artists are representing the NZ Art Show and must behave in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
3b. Solo Panel Exhibitors (SOLO)
- There is a limit of six artworks per artist for Solo Panel Exhibitors, however, the NZ Art Show reserves the right to invite individual artists to submit more.
- Size limit: The size of individual artworks must fit within the range outlined on page 2 of the Guide for Artists 2018.
- Jewellery and reproduction copies of original artworks are not eligible.
- Works on paper must be mounted and framed securely: loose paper works will not be accepted.
- Photography, original printmaking and etchings – you may submit one work from a limited edition of 15. The edition number must be clearly labelled on your work and art label. The edition will be the final and may not be added onto at a later date.
- Photography MUST be framed. Mounting on foam core or canvas will not be accepted.
- Heavy sculpture – the artist must deliver and install in the venue at the designated dates and times. The artist must also remove artwork from the venue at the designated time, whether it has sold or not, and make arrangements for delivery to the purchaser.
3c. Single Artist Wall Artists (SAW)
- Size: artworks must fit within your allocated wall space.
- There is no absolute limit on the number of artworks a SAW artist may exhibit, however quantities must be considered as storage space is limited.
- Photography, original prints, etchings and reproduction prints of your own original artworks: you may submit up to 15 works from a limited edition of 15. The edition number must be clearly labelled on your work. The edition will be the final and may not be added onto at a later date.
- Plinths: for the purpose of displaying promotional material plinths can be hired from NZ Art Show ($60) or if you are supplying your own plinth it must be no larger than 60cm x 60cm (top) x 120cm (high).
- Artists may not exhibit outside of their allocated exhibition area or obstruct other artworks.
- Artists may not move artwork that is not theirs.
- All sales must be conducted via our sales system: no private sales.
- Artists are permitted to exhibit and sell only their own work, not that of any other artists.
- Inclusion in the show is not automatic: all entries will be subject to a selection process.
- The selection panel reserves the right to accept or reject any artist for whatever reason and their decision is final.
- You will be notified of selection results within 10 working days of making your application.
- If you are selected for the show and if, on arrival, the standard of your work does not satisfy the selection board then the NZ Art Show reserves the right to withdraw your submission.
- The NZ Art Show will not enter into discussion with unselected artists regarding the selectors’ decision.
5a. Application fee
- There is an application fee for ALL artists applying for the NZ Art Show.
- The application fee is due when you make your application via the online application form.
- Your application will only be processed once you have paid the application fee.
- The application fee is non-refundable, whether you are selected or not.
5b. Exhibition Fee
- There is an additional exhibition fee for all artists selected for the NZ Art Show:
- All accepted artists will be invoiced. The exhibition fee must be received by the due date as instructed by the NZ Art Show management in order to secure placement.
- If payment is not received by due date your placement may be cancelled.
- The exhibition fees are non-refundable, so you must ensure that your work complies with our terms and conditions: any works that do not comply may not be exhibited, with no refunds payable.
5c. Single Artist Wall Exhibition fee
- Panels: each panel measures 1.2m (w) x 2.3m (h). SAW spaces are available according to the following:
- 3 panels = $850 (minimum)
- 4 panels = $1,100 (maximum)
- Plinths: $60 each
- SAW Assistant if requested: $100. The assistant pass is to be used by one designated person only. The SAW assistant is able to help for the duration of the show and includes access to the Gala evening.
- There is no charge for helpers at set-up and pack-down
- Artists may enter into a payment plan agreed to by the NZ Art Show
5d. Solo Panel Exhibition Fee
- Panels for 2D works: each panel measures 1.2m (w) x 2.3m (h). Panels are available according to the following:
- 1 panel = $150 (minimum)
- 2 panels = $300 (maximum)
- Plinths for 3D works: each plinth measures measuring 60cm x 60cm (top) x 120cm (high) and are available according to the following:
- Plinths = $60 each
- Minimum = 2 plinths ($120)
- Maximum = 4 plinths ($300)
- Large free-standing 3D works = $50 per piece
- The NZ Art Show is open to discussing artists’ collections on a case by case basis
- Artists selected for the NZ Art Show 2018 acknowledge that images submitted to the NZ Art Show by the artist may be used as part of publicity for the show in the following manner: promotional brochures and posters, newspaper articles and advertising, website articles and marketing, NZ Art Show newsletters, NZ Art Show Facebook page, Instagram and other NZ Art Show social media pages, NZ Art Show website, Flickr, YouTube, The NZ Art Show Guide, NZ Art Show video and end of year report. As this publicity forms part of the marketing strategy for the NZ Art Show, artists will not receive remuneration for the use of their images. Any artists who refuse to allow their images to be used may be withdrawn from the show.
- Any images of the NZ Art Show 2018 event and exhibiting artworks as commissioned by the NZ Art Show remain the property of the NZ Art Show and the NZ Art Show reserves the right to use those images at their discretion.
- The NZ Art Show has no insurance provision for artworks, therefore the artist is strongly advised to make their own insurance arrangements in order to protect their work while in transit, in storage awaiting exhibition, at the exhibition or pending return to artist.
8. DELIVERY AND COLLECTION
- Artists are responsible for the costs of freight to the show and return of any unsold artworks after the show.
- There are two options available for delivery and collection after the show – COURIER or
- Selected artists will receive full instructions for delivery and post-show collection. Dates for delivery and collection are in the Artist Handbook available only to selected artists and on the Artist Timeline 2018, on the NZ Art Show website and in the Guide for Artists 2018. The dates differ between exhibition categories and type of art work – so please ensure you take note of the details relevant to your category.
- These are the only dates available so if you are accepted please ensure you are able to work with these dates.
- On the submission form, you will be asked to indicate how you will be delivering and collecting your artwork.
- Any artists choosing to use a courier service to deliver their artwork must source and pay for their own courier.
- Courier return of unsold artworks after the show:
- SAW artists must source and pay for their own courier.
- SOLO artists wishing to use a courier to return unsold artworks will be given the option to either organise their own courier, or use the NZ Art Show appointed service and be invoiced: full instructions will be given to selected artists. Again, this will be at the artist’s own expense.
8b. Hand Delivery and Hand Collection pre and post-NZ Art Show
- There will be designated dates for hand delivery prior to the show and collection of unsold artwork after the show. Full information will be given to selected artists.
- All unsold artwork must be collected on the dates specified in the timeline and artist handbook. Any artwork not collected by the final collection date will be retained by the NZ Art Show as a donation.
9. SPACE ALLOCATION
- The NZ Art Show will do their best to ensure that all artists are allocated a reasonable space that will receive favourable public exposure.
- Allocation is at the discretion of the NZ Art Show and negotiations between the NZ Art Show and the artists regarding allocation will not be entered into.
- Any artists challenging the position allocated to them may be withdrawn from the show with no refunds.
- Artists will price their own work inclusive of GST and commission.
- Even though our price range is $50 – $5,000 the average sale price is normally around $600. Therefore artists are expected to keep their prices in an affordable range.
- Whilst we welcome all prices under $5,000, anything priced from $1,500 upwards will be scrutinised closely.
- NZ Art Show reserves the right to make recommendations to individual artists regarding pricing.
NZ Art Show will charge commission on all artworks sold. This charge will be deducted from the final payment to artists.
Commission is 25%
12. TAX & GST
- All taxation liabilities will be the responsibility of all individual artists.
- GST Registered artists will be responsible for all GST liabilities.
- Artists that are not GST registered will have a GST charge on the commission.
- For more information or clarification, please contact an accountant or the IRD.
13. BRENDAN FOOT SUPERSITE SIGNATURE PIECE ART AWARD
- All artists selected for the 2018 show are eligible for this award. Entry is automatic – application form or fees are not required.
- Artworks submitted to the NZ Art Show 2018 will be considered by the judging team at the venue prior to the start of the show.
- Any artists not wishing to be considered for this award must notify the NZ Art Show by 14 May 2018 at the latest.
- Artists may not enter into negotiations with any member of the NZ Art Show organisation with intent to influence the selection process; any artists seen to be exerting influence on the selection process will be disqualified from the show.
- Ten finalists will be selected; they will be announced at the show 31 May 2018.
- All ten finalists will be displayed together in a designated gallery at the NZ Art Show 2018.
- Voting will take place for the duration of the show by those that visit the show and the winner will be announced in the week after the show. (June 11 – 15)
- The $3,000 prize has been specifically earmarked to help further the recipient’s art practices; therefore the winner acknowledges that the prize money is for art related activities.
- The award recipient must be prepared to inform and demonstrate to the NZ Art Show that they have used the prize for the purpose intended. Specific documentation may be requested by the NZArt Show as proof.
- The winner may be approached by media for interviews and must undertake any media obligations.
- Any breach of these terms may result in revocation of the prize or the artist may be required to refund the prize in full.
14. PAYMENT TO ARTISTS
Artists will receive payment for all artwork sold (less commission, possible GST and possible courier expenses) by 20th August 2018 at the latest.
15. POST-SHOW ISSUES
- Whilst the NZ Art Show acts as an agent for artists for the duration of the show, once the artist has been paid in full for any artwork sold any issues arising from the sale of artworks are the full responsibility of the artist.
- The NZ Art Show will not act as intermediary in the event of any disputes that may arise directly between the artist and purchaser: artists will manage all resultant issues themselves
While the NZ Art Show will use its best endeavours to protect your artwork while in its care and until collected or donated to the Trust, the artist acknowledges that the NZ Art Show accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage caused to the art in transit or while in its care. Therefore all efforts to retrieve lost art or repair damages are the full responsibility of the artist.